with the bold text in the example below:

Monday, November 14, 2011

Jackie Brown by Quentin Tarantino, 1997


with Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Forster, Bridget Fonda, Michael Keaton, Robert De Niro, Michael Bowen, Chris Tucker, Lisa Gay Hamilton, Tommy "Tiny" Lister, Hattie Winston, Sid Haig, Aimee Graham, Ellis Williams, Tangie Ambrose

Jackie Brown (Pam Grier) is an aging flight attendant who smuggles cash on the side. But when she's busted and pressured to help with an investigation, she plans to play the opposing forces against each other and walk away with the dough.

I feel a bit of pressure starting the review. This is one of my favorite movie ever. This is a movie I went three times to the theater to watch. I have of course the dvd, and haven't watched it for a while - which reminds me that maybe I should do myself a little Jackie Brown session. I loved this movie. For many reasons. First, I have to say I love Elmore Leonard writing (he wrote Out of sight, get shorty, 3:10 to Yuma...). Second, the cast was amazing. I mean amazing. I was impressed how the characters looked so real, and how the cast was chosen right on, because of what I saw of the actors work in other movies. I cannot say how much I love Robert Forster in Jackie Brown, and even stronger I fell for Pam Grier. They were with an incredible chemistry between them, and that is partly why the movie is so good. Besides, the story is very raw, it is about aging and not fitting in anymore, being in a need of a change, and being drawn into a perfect plot, for the fun of having a change in our life. It is tricky, you believe you have it all sorted, but not, it is full of surprises, changes. At the same time, it is not a crazy action movie, it is seen from a very personal point of view, very close to the characters. Maybe that is why the movie is so original. And the soundtrack, don't get me started on the soundtrack, it is perfect, from Bobby Womack to the Supremes to Foxy Brown to the Delfonics to Pam Grier herself to Bill Withers to The Grassroots to Johnny Cash. Anyway, perfect.

Watch Trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment