with the bold text in the example below:

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Blue Valentine by Derek Cianfrance, 2010 (R)


with Ryan Gosling (All Good Things, Blue Valentine, Drive, Crazy, Stupid, Love.), Michelle Williams (Brokeback Mountain), John Doman, Faith Wladyka, Mike Vogel (The Help), Marshall Johnson, Jen Jones, Maryann Plunkett, James Benatti, Barbara Troy, Carey Westbrook, Ben Shenkman

Once crazy about each other, Cindy (Michelle Williams) and Dean (Ryan Gosling) have now grown apart. Cindy is bored and disenchanted with her life while Dean languishes in the emotional emptyness of their sexless, routine life in rural Pennsylvania. As they muddle through their marriage, they hearken back to the golden days when life was filled with possibility and romance.

Perhaps it is not a movie to watch with your partner if your relationship is on the way to collapse, it might kill it all. I believe it almost did between Williams and Gosling. It is a fatality kind of movie, certainly breathing of this fresh air that look so obvious looking from the outside and longing for their separation. It is very well acted, very simple and at the same time, emotionally dense, to the core of human relationships. Confining, nostalgic, claustrophobic and human. I would not watch it again, it is truly depressing. But, I recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. This movie Blue Valentine looks pretty intense. I love whose playing the main leads, they are some of my favorite actors in Hollywood. Thanks so much for your review on Blue Valentine. It's bittersweet that some relationships become that way, relationships are not easy, lol. My friend who I work with at Dish invited me over to watch it tonight. She ordered it along with a few other movies on Blockbuster @Home and they arrived in the mail yesterday. Good thing we don’t have to return them right away. I'll let you know what I think about it.

    ReplyDelete