with the bold text in the example below:

Friday, July 6, 2012

Pat and Mike by George Cukor, 1952 (NR)



with Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Aldo Ray, William Ching, Sammy White, George Mathews, Gussie Moran, Babe Didrikson Zaharias
George Cukor is the director of "Gone With The Wind" (uncredited),  "Keeper of the Flame" and "Adam's Rib" (and "My Fair Lady", I have to start writing about it, I just love the movie, made me want to learn proper English, and drop my French accent... and country, oops)

Pat Pemberton (Hepburn), an athletic prodigy who's a natural in any sport except dating, meets her match in Mike Conovan (Tracy), a feisty promoter who takes her under his wing. Together, they set the sports world on its ear and find that opposites attract in director George Cukor's Oscar-nominated romantic comedy.

I am starting to be frustrated, I was hoping the chemistry between Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy was a little more seductive, sensual, than what I have seen so far. Between "State of the Union" where they are at the limit of divorce, "The Sea of Grass" where they are completely estranged, "Without Love" where they are not to demonstrate any sign of affection beyond friendship, "Keeper of the Flame" where she dies before anything could possibly even eventually happen, "Woman of the Year" where she has better things to do than being in a relationship and "Pat and Mike" where they are business of one another, I think the only one where they are actually sharing some moments of affection is "Adam's Rib". No wonder why in real life, people couldn't really figure what was going on. They have the familiarity of old friends, I would say...
Anyway, coming back to "Pat and Mike", it is a strange movie. It takes its time, does not hesitate to show you an entire golf game, or a tennis match. It is funny, he is very new yorker, she is very incredible, I mean, she is fifty and look better than a 20 years old woman, jumping, running, playing tennis, stretching, so fit and elegant, so full of energy, fascinating. Maybe I should add her in my list of incredible female characters (or start a new one with incredible actresses). On the down side it is a bit too theatrical, the way she changes mood when her weakness point in on sight (I won't spoil anything). Refreshing anyhow. And the two champs are cut together.

Watch trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment