with the bold text in the example below:

Monday, December 10, 2012

Prime by Ben Younger, 2005 (PG-13)



with Uma Thurman (Bel Ami), Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady, Marvin's Room, It's Complicated, Julie and Julia, Kramer Vs. Kramer), Bryan Greenberg, Jon Abrahams, Zak Orth, Annie Parisse, Aubrey Dollar, Jerry Adler, Doris Belack, Ato Essandoh

Newly divorced businesswoman Rafi is surprised at how quickly love finds her again in the form of young artist Dave, her polar opposite. But Rafi's soon dismayed to learn that her shrink is also her lover's disapproving mother.
Duration: 106 minutes

I saw it when it came out, in 2005, I guess i was the age of the guy in the movie, and not as experienced... I also was still living in France at the time. I found the movie a bit stupid, forced into being comical, the only two saving scenes were Meryl Streep and her Q-tips theory, and the ending, which was unusual and interesting. I never wanted to watch this movie again, there were so many more interesting one in the horizon. 
Then it turned out that I actually had to see it again last Saturday. So I was expecting a bad movie. To be more fair to the experience, I would say there were things that were far worse, such as the fashion, my goodness, she is supposed to be a fashion photographer, and her outfits are outrageous, hopefully that wasn't the fashion in 2005!! Then, now that I live in New York, I was shocked by the representation of the kid's lifestyle, from the upper east side but living in the lower east side, with a gangsta style and going to all the touristic places you could imagine to eat, go out, shop... Anyway, the summum of it was the chicken noodle soup romantic dinner, this is something that could only come from LA, romanticizing the idea of New Yorker getting sick. Aside from that, I really liked Meryl Streep performance, she definitely saves the movie from collapsing really deep, and the grandma with the pan kind of guide for Dave. Now also, I am older than the guy, and actually in the relationship with someone way older, giving me some perspective on the story, which is quite realistic. And I still find the end original, mature. Which leaves me with a better feeling than last time.

watch trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment