with the bold text in the example below:

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summertime (Summer Madness) by David Lean, 1955 (NR)



with Katharine Hepburn, Rossano Brazzi, Isa Miranda, Darren McGavin, Mari Aldon, Jane Rose, MacDonald Parke, Jeremy Spenser, Gaetano Autiero

Dreams of romance for American spinster Jane Hudson (Katharine Hepburn) become a bittersweet reality when she meets a handsome but married antiques dealer (Rossano Brazzi) while vacationing in Venice, Italy. David Lean directed this sensitive portrait of an independent woman who finds that, even in a beautiful European city, her sense of loneliness is unavoidable, and her initial disgust with the idea of an illicit love affair doesn't last.

It was a strange thing to watch that movie. It a very stretched way, I felt I experienced a similar journey, but when I was 18. I went to the south of Spain, on my own, and realized soon enough that the beauty of the country and region couldn't help me forget how lonely I was. I met a lot of random people, and a man that really seduced me. But at my age, I wasn't ready to do anything with a stranger. There stop the comparison, only the loneliness. Then the movie goes on with the relationship she has with this Italian man, making her feel young again, alive, beautiful, seductive. But the movie made me uncomfortable in the sense of what to expect at the time of Italy, the snob attitude of wanting so badly not to be the typical American tourist, but falling inextricably into the cliché, with shots of the canals, stones, monuments, behaviors. Venice was indeed beautiful anywhere you would look. Perhaps it is just how Katharine Hepburn plays the woman facing the wonders, almost like in a silent movie, alternating in a very non-subtle way smile and sobbing... Exasperating...

Watch Trailer

0 comments:

Post a Comment