with the bold text in the example below:

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen, 2011


with Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard, Michael Sheen, Adrien Brody, Kathy Bates, Carla Bruni, Gad Elmaleh, Kurt Fuller, Léa Seydoux

A young engaged couple (Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams) whose experiences traveling together in Paris make them begin to question the kind of life they want to live as a couple.

Long time since the last movie of Woody Allen I liked. But this one came finally out. To be honest, I had major apprehensions on how he would portray Paris, as I am myself a Parisian. I didn't like in "Vicky Christina Barcelona" his vision of Barcelona, too touristic to me, too Spanish and not Catalan at all. Some scenes of it were hilarious, mostly thanks to Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, but the rest was strongly cliché, and the two girls where not interesting. Anyway, coming back to Midnight in Paris, I was afraid also of Owen Wilson's version of Woody Allen. Anyway, all wrong. It was a brilliant and funny movie, with a great sense of nostalgia, beauty, cultural shock, well acted, ironic, with a great inventiveness playing with historical characters, the relation with the present and the comical of situation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment