with the bold text in the example below:

Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Master by Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 (R)



with Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams (Julie and Julia), Laura Dern (Dr. T. and The Women), Jesse Plemons, Rami Malek, Jillian Bell, Ambyr Childers, Lena Endre (The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo), Kevin J. O'Connor, Josh Close, Barlow Jacobs, Mimi Cozzens, Madisen Beaty

A heavy-drinking loaner named Freddie finds some semblance of a family when he stumbles onto the ship of Lancaster Dodd, the charismatic leader of a new "religion" -- some say cult -- he forms after World War II.

Today is a day where I do not have much to say about a movie. The Master is a movie that has great actors, great cinematography, an interesting and polemic topic, a realism that isn't questionable, dialogues shaped in intonations, silences, unsaid and strange meaningful words. The journey of the characters makes us know a lot, with their unpredictable behaviors, intentions... in almost a language that looked foreign to me, since I couldn't really understand them. It felt I was mislead, out of it, in a way because I was reading the first layer and it wouldn't tell me anything, and the second layer was telling me more without managing to get me involved, I felt as far from them as I could. I felt the same with "There Will Be Blood", so perhaps it is the style of the director I cannot connect to, perhaps it is just that I was tired, uncomfortable and the movie was long... I didn't feel anything, that is all... I would recommend to watch it, and write something back in the comment box that would illuminate me!

Watch Trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment