with the bold text in the example below:

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Eyes Wide Shut by Stanley Kubrick, 1999 (R)


with Tom Cruise (Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Knight and Day), Nicole Kidman (The Paperboy, Margot At The Wedding, Rabbit Hole), Sydney Pollack (Michael Clayton), Madison Eginton, Jackie Sawris, Leslie Lowe, Peter Benson, Todd Field, Michael Doven, Sky Dumont, Louise J. Taylor, Stewart Thorndike, Randall Paul, Julienne Davis, Lisa Leone, Kevin Connealy, Marie Richardson, Thomas Gibson, Mariana Hewett, Leelee Sobieski, Rade Serbedzija, Alan Cumming

Director Stanley Kubrick's final film dishes up a chillingly distant examination of carnal desire and obsession ignited by an argument over fidelity between Dr. Bill Hartford (Tom Cruise) and his wife (Nicole Kidman), which sends the physician reeling into the Manhattan night. He soon finds himself in a surreal succession of sexually charged encounters, capped off by a clandestine visit to an upper-crust orgy.

I was told I would never understand that movie watching it when it came out, by both my art and philosophy teachers. Well, I waited, with a bit of apprehension. I was told you would need to have a long relationship with someone to be able to comprehend the twist and experience of the couple portrayed in this movie. So when I watched it finally last month, I felt I finally had some requirements supplied: the maturity of a long enough relationship. And I watched. It is interesting how things communicates, and my first impression is that I had to have been a new yorker, which i am now for 5 years. And at the same time understand how few I knew about my city and its mystery of social circles, and other kind of circles. And then I entered another understanding of the movie. It is all about trust, and curiosity sometimes... It was intriguing, appealing, shocking, incomprehensible, and finally after all this journey, so ordinary and true. In a very comfortable way. So I learned my lesson and acted accordingly.

Watch Trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment